Monday, December 3, 2007

Have A Blessed Advent

There's not a whole lot going on right now, and nothing really new to post so I thought I'd make an Advent-type post. I always look forward to Advent and Lent for two reasons. The first is the anticipation of Christmas and Easter, the second is that purple is my favorite color. Several years ago (I believe this was the year Sean and I got married), we purchased a simple Advent candleholder, a square iron box that "floats" the four candles in glass votive holders. Each year I swore we'd observe Advent by doing Evening Prayer at least every Sunday of the season. The last few years, however, we traveled to Mississippi to see his Mom for Christmas, which meant the last Sunday of Advent was spent out of state, and we didn't take the wreath with us.

Yeah, I know that's not a very good excuse. Neither is saying that we also are always tired on Sunday after church since it's quite a drive to get to and home from our home parish and just kind of forgot. Most of the years we intended to observe Advent I had actually forgotten to get out the wreath until the 2nd or 3rd Sunday. This year is different.

I think it mostly has to do with the pregnancy. Since I'm limited for travelling, we're spending Christmas at home this year. We also agreed that we wanted to start family traditions of our own, so last night after dinner we lit the first purple candle and said Evening Prayer (Rite I of course!). When we finished and blew out the candle, Sean told me he was looking forward to saying Evening Prayer with George. I thought it was so sweet, and had to really keep myself from tearing up.

I am so excited that we're laying the foundation for cherished family memories and beginning traditions that I hope will stick with my child(ren) for the rest of their lives. Is this part of the joy of motherhood?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger