Thursday, December 13, 2007

Requiem

æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Nana passed away last night. I don't know of the exact time, but I do know she died in her sleep. The last few days she was unable to recognize anyone, and was bedridden. The saddest part was that she kept asking why she couldn't meet Jesus yet. We were all able to say our goodbyes, even my cousin who lives in Poland. He made the trip last week to Washington just to see his grandmother. It breaks my heart that I can't go to her funeral or burial because of my pregnancy, but I hope to make a trip up there to visit this summer, God willing.

Nana (as she was known to me) lived to be 96 years old. She outlived two husbands and two of three siblings. She is survived by one sister, four children, nine grandchildren, four great-grandchildren (that I know of), one great-great granddaughter, and three (at least) great-great grandchildren yet to be born. I haven't the slightest idea how many nieces, nephews, or great-niece/nephews she has. This amazing woman was the matriarch of our family and a devout Christian (Protestant). She was the center for information about family members stretched from one end of the country to the other and even overseas.

She helped to raise my mother for a couple of years while Oma worked, and her home was always open to any family members who needed a place to stay. I have so many memories it would take a book to write them all down. Mom did one better, a couple of years ago she recorded on tape several hours of Nana reminiscing, and is now able to work on transcripting them, or will be when her motor skills have improved. For now let me just say that I know she's gone to be with our Lord and is finally at peace. Even so, it's hard to let go.

I love you, Nana. Say hi to Jesus for me.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger