Thursday, August 7, 2008

Happy Anniversary

The above picture was taken at our wedding (of course!). My flower girl was my lovely niece, Katie, and our ring bearer was Sean's little brother, Alex, who will be starting college this fall.

It's been four years today since Sean and I took vows before God to uphold each other in the bonds of holy matrimony. It's interesting to look back on our relationship and see where we were and where it seems we are going.

I wouldn't say we are madly in love like is so often portrayed in movies and books, and I'm kind of glad. I'm not saying being madly in love is a bad thing, but it's just like any kind of high...it tends to not be such a rush after a while. What is more important to me is the kind of love that emerges when the high wears off.

Sean and I are truly partners in this marriage. We look to each other for guidance and support, we agree on the things that matter (such as children), and we offer a comforting shoulder to cry on when the other is heartbroken. We are role-models for our son, and I hope we continue to be throughout his life. I want him to know what a good marriage is like. Neither Sean nor I had good role-models for a good working marriage from our own parents and I don't want to set that example for George.

When we're old and gray (God willing we live healthily that long), I want us to be one of those couples who walk through the park slowly hand in hand and sit quietly across from each other in a restaurant not needing to say a word but knowing how much we are loved.

Of course we have our differences, but that is one of the things that makes our relationship interesting. Knowing how to work with those differences and still manage to put up with each other is what makes our relationshop strong.

Dear Sean,

Thank you for putting up with my crazy antics. Thank you for being a great father. Thank you for loving me the way I am, and thank you for encouraging me to grow. This has been the best four years of my life, and I look forward to the next forty (and more). I love the way you read my mind, knowing what I'm about to say before I say it. God has truly blessed me through you and I appreciate you more than you could know.

I love you lots,

Anna

No comments:

Powered By Blogger